Happy holiday weekend!
We’re going into 2023 with a lot to be thankful for:
- A state full of advocates willing to work hard for public schools and ready to stand up for a budget that meets their needs.
We deeply appreciate the nonpartisan public education champions who worked so hard to unite their communities in this fall’s elections, passed 79% of school referenda, and ultimately put kids first at the ballot box. Wisconsin voters have spoken and have reinforced what we already knew: we love our public schools.
- A great budget proposal still on the table, and veto authority still intact to protect kids from bad ideas.
The common-sense education budget announced by State Supt. Underly and Gov. Evers will deliver aid to classrooms where it belongs and raise revenue limits, increase special education reimbursements to public schools, and focus our state’s resources on the most pressing needs of Wisconsin’s kids. We are determined to see these measures passed into law so that every student can have the full freedom to learn, play, and thrive in our public schools.
- More than enough money to fund it.
This new memo from the State Department of Administration shows that Wisconsin will go into 2023 with a staggering $6.6 billion surplus — even more than the $5 billion previously estimated. In fact, the state could fully fund every agency’s budget request and still have billions left over in the state coffers. We can afford to meet every single one of our budget priorities — and we can’t afford not to.
All in all, we are thankful for you. Please know how much we admire your support for local students, educators, families and community members.
P.S. Mark your calendars — we hope to see you at:
- Our final 2022 regular Network partners’ meeting on Mon. Dec. 5 from 3:30-5pm via Zoom. We’ll share our new 2023 action plan we built with Network partners this past weekend at this meeting! Registration in advance is required: https://secure.everyaction.com/pJJh6LLUa0ujlUSUNeqUPA2
- Our Go Public Happy Hour on Thurs. Jan. 19 at the WASB convention in Milwaukee! We’ll be in the Monarch Lounge at the Hilton with appetizers on us, discounted drinks, and our special guest Dr. Jill Underly. This is our opportunity to have a “winter social” and connect in person with partners from around the state — those attending the convention are welcome to join us, but you do not need to be attending the conference to come see us.
- Public Schools Unite Us week of action: Feb. 27 – March 3. Stay tuned for details on the actions we’ll be taking statewide and locally to appreciate our public schools and unite around urgent budget- and election-related actions.
For now, we hope you’ll join us in taking a couple days to relax, reflect, and recharge for the important steps ahead.