Read our 2023 Public Schools Week press release here.
Public Schools Week Proclamation from Gov. Evers: click here.
U.S. Rep. Pocan introduces resolution with Reps Graves and Bonamici resolution to honor Public Schools Week 2023: read more here.
Tell your public schools story!
Take inspiration from these three videos in the PUBLIC SCHOOLS UNITE US SERIES, created by Eau Claire-based award-winning videographers Micah Davis and Steve Betchkal of Soul Shine Creative Studios.
Reflecting on this video series, Micah Davis wrote:
We had a lot of fun creating this series, and it was incredible to be involved in these joyful student-mentor reunions. Both the gratitude of the students and the pride of their teachers were obvious.
It is remarkable that our public school alumni recall with great fondness and emotion the connections they made while in school. These caring relationships have had a meaningful and significant impact on their success often equal to what they learned in the classroom.
We recently completed a project about improving mental health for middle and high school students, and the most important factor to that mental and emotional health is the presence of caring adult relationships in their lives. The lesson we learned in creating these stories is that public education is essential to the development of our intellectual and professional growth, AND to our social and emotional competencies. Our public education makes us the resilient and productive humans that we are.
Join us for our Budget Action Workshop!
Show your love for public schools by learning about what’s in the budget, why it matters to kids, and what you can do about it! With special welcome message from Lieutenant Governor Sara Rodriguez and guests State Budget Director Brian Pahnke and Lisa Lucas of All in Wisconsin.
Here’s How You Can Get Involved:
- We can put our appreciation into action for public schools in personal, local, and legislative ways! Examples include:
- Contact your Lawmakers
- Thank You Cards or Other Tokens of Appreciation: Send cards, notes, and cookies to the educators and staff in your school. Don’t forget administrators and your district office! Make it a party by holding card-making events with parent groups, student orgs, and other local teams.
- Guest Lessons: Invite a retired teacher, a parent, or a student to conduct a lesson in the classroom.
- Showcase Student Work: Decorate a public space with children’s drawings and artwork. Make sure to post a picture on social media with the hashtag #PublicSchoolsWeek.
- Host a Dinner: Share in a community meal with current and retired educators and staff from your school.
- Community Slideshow: Have members of the community submit photos showing why they love their public schools — and combine them into a slideshow.
- Attend a School Board Meeting during the week to express your appreciation.
- Bookmark the Learning First Alliance’s Public School Proud website for opportunities to register your events (no matter how small) and other Public Schools Week resources.
- Media and Messaging: Contribute to our media message!
- Create a local hashtag and try to get it trending in your community. Example: #WeLoveMiltonSchools
- Write a letter to the editor or op-ed for your local paper sharing why you love your schools.
- Contact your local paper and news stations to inform them of your events and invite them to cover your efforts!
- Schedule interviews or call into local radio stations to express your public school pride.
- School Board Resolution: this really shows that your district is on board with your plans
- Learning First Alliance Schedule of Events
- Tuesday, February 28, 2:00 -3:15 PM ET
- Live Webinar: Advancing Teaching and Learning-Post-Pandemic
- Wednesday, March 1, 7:00 – 7:45 PM ET
- Twitter Chat: Engaging Your Community #PSW23Engage
- Thursday, March 2, 2:00 – 3:00 PM. ET
- Live Webinar: The Language of Connection to Build Community Relationships
- Tuesday, February 28, 2:00 -3:15 PM ET
- 2023 Public Schools Week Promotional Toolkit from the Learning First Alliance
- Includes sample social media posts, downloadable graphics, press releases, and other actions.
- You may also download and share the graphics below, and/or consider making one your profile picture on social media!
Kick off Public Schools Week with us!
We met Monday morning at the Wisconsin State Capitol for a Network partner meeting to deliver a positive, nonpartisan message of support for local students to lawmakers. Special guests Rep. Joel Kitchens, Rep. Kristina Shelton, former Rep. Sondy Pope, and Executive Director of the Office of the State Superintendent Tom McCarthy joined us for a fruitful conversation on education policy. Video archive available here.
- 2022 Learning First Alliance Resources:
- Schedule of Events
- Social Media Toolkit with graphics and social media material that you can use for the week
- Sample Press Release
- 2022 Public Schools Week Proclamations & Statements
- Governor’s Proclamation
- Sun Prairie Area School District’s Proclamation
- Eau Claire Area School District’s Proclamation
- Watch Governor Evers’ video celebrating Public Schools Week!
- Watch U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin’s video!
Want some resources to help you with your online/social media messaging plan? Contact Christian@WisconsinNetwork.org for tips or to attend digital office hours!