Wisconsin Public Education Network Joins The National School Boards Association In Celebrating Public Schools Week, February 21-25, 2022
Here’s How You Can Get Involved:
- Think about community events that showcase your appreciation for your public schools! Examples include:
- Thank You Cards or Other Tokens of Appreciation: Send cards, notes, and cookies to the educators and staff in your school. Don’t forget administrators and your district office! Make it a party by holding card-making events with parent groups, student orgs, and other local teams.
- Guest Lessons: Invite a retired teacher, a parent, or a student to conduct a lesson in the classroom.
- Showcase Student Work: Decorate a public space with children’s drawings and artwork. Make sure to post a picture on social media with #PublicSchoolsWeek.
- Host a Dinner: Share in a community meal with current and retired educators and staff from your school.
- Community Slide Show: Have members of the community submit photos of reasons they love their schools and put them together in a slide show.
- Attend a School Board Meeting during the week to express your appreciation.
- Register Your Action: Don’t forget to register your event, no matter the size, with the Learning First Alliance.
- Media and Messaging: Contribute to our media message!
- Create a local hashtag and try to get it trending in your community. Example: #WeLoveMiltonSchools
- Write a letter to the editor or op-ed for your local paper sharing why you love your schools.
- Contact your local paper and news stations to inform them of your events and invite them to cover your efforts!
- Schedule interviews or call into local radio stations to express your public school pride.
- School Board Resolution, this really shows that your district is also on board with your plans!
- Here is a sample resolution
Want some resources to help you with your online messaging plan? Check out our September 2020 “Media and Messaging Workshop: Full recording of session, Joe’s Pro Tips Powerpoint, & messaging campaign planning template.