SAVE THE DATE: 6th Annual Summer Summit – July 24, 2020: Sun Prairie
- SUMMER SUMMIT REGISTRATION IS LIVE! SAVE THE DATE and register early to join us on Friday July 24 in Sun Prairie for our 6th annual Summer Summit: https://summersummit2020.eventbrite.com. Early bird registration is just $25 — save $15 by registering before March 1!
- The Call for Proposals for breakout sessions and workshops is also live.Click here to submit a panel proposal! Deadline for submissions: Feb. 15, 2020.
- Don’t want to present, but have ideas for sessions? Click here if you have an …idea for a panel, workshop, or training session you’d like to attend!
- This year’s theme is Public Education and Democracy, and we plan to dig deep into this topic to think about what civic engagement really means in and to our schools, and how we can work together to defend the most essential pillar of a strong democracy – a sound public education!
- Invited guest speakers include Keron Blair, Alliance to Reclaim Our Schools; Helen Gym, Philadelphia City Council; Charles Franklin, Marquette University; Angela Lang, BLOC (Black Leaders Organizing Communities, and many more! Don’t miss this opportunity to learn, connect and strategize!
- Note to partner districts, union leaders, and administrators: Sun Prairie, Madison, and other districts are sponsoring teacher/staff registration, and some districts are also offering professional development points or credit for educators and staff. If you’re interested in exploring this option or setting up a special ticket for your members or staff, please contact Heather at hdb@WisconsinNetwork.org.
- Also mark your calendar for the pre-Summit welcome reception on Thursday, July 23 from 7:30-9:30 at Buck & Honey’s, Sun Prairie!
- Help spread the word! Please share widely in your district and community. This is going to be the best Summit yet! Facebook event here.
5th Annual Summer Summit – August 5, 2019: La Crosse
Past Summit archive:
August 1, 2018: Appleton
Our 4th Annual Summer Summit was held at Appleton North High School and hosted by the Fox Cities Advocates for Public Education. Agenda included keynote speaker Jitu Brown, a plenary panel with members of the Blue Ribbon Commission on School Funding, special guest Joe Thomas, president of the Arizona Education Association, a morning welcome from Superintendent Tony Evers and 28 breakout sessions! PLUS: silent auction, a #VotePublic workshop & much more!
See our 2018 Summer Summit photo album here and click here for the full program. Scroll down for presenter materials and news from the Summit, and click here to view photos and Wisconsin Eye footage from the event.
August 2017 Summer Summit: Lake Mills
Over 350 people attended our 3rd annual Summer Summit in Lake Mills, hosted by CAPE (Citizen Advocates for Public Education) and the Lake Mills School District, for a full day of workshops, presenations, and the Wisconsin Premier of the film “Backpack Full of Cash,” with a conversation with the filmmakers. CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL AGENDA and click here to see our 2017 Summer Summit resource page with videos and descriptions of sessions.
August 2016 Summit, Wauwatosa
Our 2nd Annual Summer Summit featured a full day of workshops and strategy breakouts led by Wisconsin public education advocates and experts, featuring keynote presentations from Rev. Dr. William Barber II and John and Tashia Morgridge, and a special welcome from Dr. Tony Evers, Superintendent of Public Instruction. CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL SCHEDULE!
Wisconsin Eye footage: http://www.wiseye.org/Video-Archive/Event-Detail/evhdid/10823
Tony Evers interview 8/24 (mentions WPEN partners in opening) http://www.wiseye.org/Video-Archive/Event-Detail/evhdid/10813
Wauwatosa Hosts Statewide Education Summit: http://www.wauwatosanow.com/story/news/2016/08/24/wauwatosa-hosts-statewide-summit-public-education/89217458/
Public School Leader Worries about “Haves” and “Have-Nots” http://www.wpr.org/public-school-leader-says-he-worries-about-teacher-shortages-and-have-not-districts
School leaders push for more K-12 public school funding. Public Education Summit held in Wauwatosa http://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/hundreds-gather-to-push-for-more-funding-of-k-12-public-schools
August 2015: Middleton
Our first annual Summer Summit was held at Kromrey Middle School in Middleton.