On October 12, 2023, a lawsuit (Underwood v. Vos) was filed asking the Wisconsin Supreme Court to find Wisconsin’s unregulated private school voucher and independent charter programs unconstitutional on the grounds that they prohibit the state from meeting its obligation to fully fund our public school system.
Wisconsin Public Education Network joined public school champions across the state in applauding the lawsuit as a “long-overdue challenge” that could move toward delivering “the accountability and protections under the law that all Wisconsin students deserve.”
Below is a news roundup of key articles, profiles, and editorials about the lawsuit. It will be updated regularly.
- WI public school advocates applaud lawsuit against vouchers — Wisconsin Public Education Network, October 13, 2023
- WEAC statement: lawsuit challenges school vouchers — Wisconsin Education Association Council (WEAC), October 16, 2023
- What to know about a Minocqua brewery PAC’s lawsuit against Wisconsin’s school vouchers — Rory Linnane and Jessie Opoien, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, October 16, 2023
- Voucher lawsuit takes on privatization of Wisconsin schools — Ruth Conniff, Wisconsin Examiner, October 16, 2023
- Landmark lawsuit seeks to end taxpayer vouchers for private and religious schools — Pat Kreitlow, UpNorthNews, October 18, 2023
- UpNorthNews Radio, October 18, 2023 — Pat Kreitlow, host, with guests Julie Underwood and Heather DuBois Bourenane (segment begins at 01:33:00) (audio-only)
- Why we’re fighting against private school vouchers in court — Kirk Bangstad and Julie Underwood, Wisconsin State Journal, November 6, 2023